Diversity Statement and Plan
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Diversity is a dynamic tapestry rather than a static list of attributes. Every person is a complex individual with multiple overlapping identities. The UCI Libraries recognizes the value of each individual based on unique characteristics which may include commonly acknowledged measures of diversity such as ethnicity, race, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical abilities, and religion. We also recognize and appreciate that diversity extends beyond these measures to include many other characteristics related to experience, cultural heritage, personality type, learning style, and much more. The Libraries focus on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion recognizes that we all bring different backgrounds and perspectives to the table and that it takes conscious effort to strive towards equitable outcomes and inclusive communities.
As the heart of UCI's academic community, the UCI Libraries celebrates the diversity of our patrons and staff. We are dedicated to providing an environment where everyone feels welcomed, valued, and respected. We are committed to building an inclusive workforce that reflects the growing diversity of the UCI academic community. We proactively reach out to UCI’s students, faculty, staff, and research community to ensure that our services are tailored to their varied learning and research endeavors. We work to build and make available outstanding collections representing the wide variety of human knowledge, ideas, and research. The Libraries are in full alignment with the campus in advancing UCI's Commitment to Excellence through Diversity by creating a learning community grounded in knowledge, open inquiry, dialogue, respect, and inclusion. UCI is a Minority Serving Institution (AANAPISI, HSI) that is committed to serving First Gen students, and fostering social mobility and "Advancing the American Dream."
We do this by:
- Striving to recruit and retain a diverse and inclusive workforce
- Developing diversity awareness and sensitivity among library employees
- Promoting diversity values in our services to users
- Creating a welcoming and inclusive environment in our physical and virtual locations
FOCUS AREA I: ENHANCING DIVERSITY EFFORTS IN THE RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION OF LIBRARIANS AND STAFF
- Goal 1: Increase the diversity of applicant pools.
- Goal 2: Promote the importance of evaluating candidates’ contributions and commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence during the recruitment process.
- Goal 3: Foster a welcoming environment for prospective candidates by being open to diversity and inclusive excellence.
- Goal 4: Incorporate diversity and inclusive excellence goals in the new employee orientation process.
- Goal 5: Promote contributions to diversity as an employee retention strategy
FOCUS AREA II: INCREASING DIVERSITY AWARENESS AND SENSITIVITY AMONG LIBRARY EMPLOYEES
- Goal 1: Host workshops and events to build a culture of diversity.
- Goal 2: Foster organizational support and commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence.
- Goal 3: Establish a formal structure to promote diversity and inclusive excellence.
FOCUS AREA III: PROMOTING DIVERSITY VALUES IN OUR SERVICES TO USERS
- Goal 1: Highlight and develop the diversity of our collections and increase the discoverability of diversity resources.
- Goal 2: Ensure that the Libraries’ communications reflect our commitment to diversity.
- Goal 3: Demonstrate our commitment to diversity through outreach and programming.
- Goal 4: Be responsive to the diverse needs of our users by incorporating diversity values in our day-to-day job responsibilities.
FOCUS AREA IV: ENSURING THAT WE PRESENT A WELCOMING AND INCLUSIVE ENVIRONMENT IN OUR PHYSICAL AND VIRTUAL LOCATIONS
- Goal 1: Ensure that our physical and virtual locations are easily accessible and accommodating.
- Goal 2: Ensure that our physical and virtual locations are welcoming to everyone.
UCI Libraries Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Accessibility Action Plan
Libraries DEIA Related Teams
- Temporary working groups
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Accessibility Planning Advisory Team
- Inclusive and Welcoming Library Spaces Task Force
- Incident Response Working Group (charge forthcoming)